This Week In My Kitchen
Capturing my love of whole foods, combined with the activity of a bustling kitchen.
A weekly collection of photos from the center of my home.
- October seems to give full permission for things like Shepherd's Pie, a canner working non-stop, apple hand pies and roasted potatoes. Truth is we're up for those things any day of the year, but it all seems especially right come October.
- I share this tid-bit every year, I think... but did you know Art Garfunkel said he determines his "success" in life by whether or not he has to work in the months of May and October. I might stretch that to June and October, but this month is meant for savoring. No time for work! (Don't we all wish?)
- I have one more bushel of Macs to turn into sauce then it's on to the pie fillings. I hope to provide a good pie filling recipe for you all next week, as many of you asked. I don't usually follow a specific recipe so I'll pay extra careful attention to what I do and write it down. Also, I'll put together a recipe for those hand pies too... because, hand pies.
- The Shepherd's Pie was a bunch of veggies from the garden sauteed in fat of your choice - carrots, peppers, onion, garlic, peas added at the end. I removed the veggies and browned some pastured ground beef. The veggies were added back into the pan of cooked meat along with a pint of homemade chicken broth (reserved 1/3 cup cold and mixed with 2 tbs arrowroot, then added it to the pan as well), sea salt, pepper, thyme. Simmer for a minute or so until sauce thickens. Thinly slice a bunch of potatoes and layer on top (the thinner you slice, the faster they cook). Season potatoes with sea salt and pepper. Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes, depending on potatoes being cooked through (if you saute everything in an cast iron skillet you can bake it right in there, no need for a separate casserole dish). Let sit for 10 minutes then serve.
Each day I find myself snapping a picture or two in the kitchen - a pile of ingredients, a table waiting for us to gather around, a sink full of soapy dishes, a cup of tea, dinner as it comes out of the oven - simple, everyday moments in the kitchen. These photos serve as a reminder of days gone by and as encouragement to carry on in this busy kitchen of ours when inspiration is lacking.
Every Thursday morning I'll post my photos from the week, words or recipes optional. Just glimpses into my kitchen and you're invited to do the same!
It's simple to join in:
- On your blog, post photos taken in your kitchen throughout the week.
- Words aren't necessary, your photos will tell the the story. Some of us enjoy adding a few thoughts to accompany the images... the choice is yours.
- Feel free to grab the brief description at the top of this post, or add a few words of your own to explain the project.)
- Link back to this post so your readers can visit This Week In My Kitchen and join in.
- Come back here and link up your current post (not your main blog) so we can all visit your kitchen!
- Join me every Thursday or the occasional Thursday if that works better for you.
- Please be sure to only link up if you are participating in this series. Thank you!
I look forward to visiting your kitchens!